Week 9 Power Rankings
1. Chicago – The offense has caught up to the defense. This is a very good team. I think there is a considerable gap between 1 and 2-3.
2. New England – They may have been outplayed by the Crew, but they did pull out the win away from home. Taylor Twellman however is back out for an extended time.
3. Columbus – They had been a little lucky, but the luck ran out. The offense is starting to be a concern they have been shutout for 187 minutes now. I think they are even with New England.
4. Colorado – The gap widens. Did they run into an improving Chivas team or is this a swoon. It is very hard to tell with this team.
5. Toronto FC – They split with DC. They did not look great doing it, but this is a decent team on it’s way to being good.
6. Los Angeles – If their defense can hold teams to 2 goals, they may go undefeated. I also wonder what the score of a Chicago-LA matchup would be.
7. New York – Much like Colorado, I am not sure which Red Bulls team will show up. Oh yeah, Ives reminds me that they have not had a person that works with ownership regularly since de Grandpre left two months ago. Perhaps that has something to do with it.
8. Kansas City – There is something lacking in Kansas City, I am going to say it is help for Lopez.
9. FC Dallas – I think they will hover around the middle of the rankings throughout the year. Never getting too high, but not really collapsing.
10. Chivas – They have strung together some results, but the defense will remain a bit of a question mark. The Crew will be a good test to see how much they have improved.
11. Houston – Perhaps I got ahead of myself after the Chicago win and put them too high. It looks like the Houston players did the same thing and got tripped up by the Quakes.
12. DC United – This is a talented team so they had to win a game eventually. I would not be surprised to see them put together a series of results. The season may be lost if they don’t
13. San Jose – This team has bite. They almost surprised the Crew and now have beaten Houston and Colorado.
14. Real Salt Lake – They will probably will be dancing with San Jose until they can play solidly on the road. This team is not good enough to win every game at home.