Postgame 20: Notes and Ratings
The postgame write-up is over at Columbus Underground as usual. This was not a good game by any stretch of the imagination.
- The Crew offense needs something out of the midfield and there was nothing last night. Rogers and Gaven did not threaten the entire game and Colorado’s wingers had free reign.
- I am wondering if it is time to sit Carroll for a game. I am not sure if it would help, but he has looked worse and worse over the last month. I am sure the shoulder is causing a lot of pain.
- A midfield combo of O’Rourke and Moffat would be combative, but also add a little offensive spark if Carroll needs some time off. Moffat should be getting closer to full fitness.
- Zayner played solidly in his surprise start. As long as he doesn’t try to do too much by getting forward, he does pretty well.
- Padula consistently has issues with faster players, but I should note that he seems to settle down by the second half. It must be his experience and intelligence making the difference.
- Hesmer played very well last night, a man of the match performance. I still notice that he is booting the ball upfield more than I have seen in the past. It was hard to keep possession with that much long ball.
Now for the grades:
Hesmer – 7
Zayner: 6 Marshall: 7 Brunner – 5 Padula – 6
Gaven: 5 Carroll: 5 O’Rourke: 6 Rogers: 5
Lenhart – 6 Garey – 5
Subs: Ekpo – 6, Moreno: 5, Moffat – 6
Crew Man of the Match: Hesmer – Without his top notch performance, the Crew leave with a tie at best.