Game 22: Notes, Grades, Etc.
Looking for the game recap? It’s posted up at Columbus Underground. The notes follow this pictorial interlude:
- 19,000! That’s a great attendance night. The past 2 years, the Crew have been doing a pretty good job of winning on these big attendance nights. That only helps, people love a winner.
- One of Coach Warzycha’s tactics paid off immediately. Having the wings press forced Dallas to go with the long ball. With Ekpo and Rogers pressing, the Crew got several turnovers and a couple good chances.
- Ekpo admitted that he has been working on his defense as he sees it as his weakest skill. He created a couple of turnovers with his new found defensive skills.
- Zayner had a very good game. He was quick to credit practicing against top talent every day in practice. He and Rogers will try to get the best of each other.
- Warzycha isn’t surprised by Zayner’s skill. This is the player that the team thought they were getting out of college. He is finally injury free and getting playing time.
- Both Gaven and Warzycha expected somebody to step up and challenge Gaven on his goal, but given the space he made Dallas pay. I think that play highlights Gaven’s best skill, dribbling in traffic. He can make things happen with the ball at his feet.
- Marshall may have been a step offside on the disallowed goal, but I am still amazed that Dallas knew where the ball was going for the first goal, but they still couldn’t stop him.
- Schelotto may have only had a cameo, but his little lob pass to Rogers was perfectly weighted and timed even after a 4 week layoff. His vision and skill are so very good; he doesn’t miss a beat.
Grades (6 is very good BTW):
Hesmer – 6
Zayner: 7 Marshall: 7 Brunner: 6 Padula: 6
Ekpo: 6 Moffat: 6 O’Rourke: 6 Rogers: 6
Lenhart: 6 Moreno: 6
Subs: Gaven: 7, Oughton: 6, Schelotto: NR
Crew Man of the Match: Chad Marshall